By this we know what love is: Jesus laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. - 1 John 3:16
What a joyful occasion, celebrating the new life our savior gave to us. I wish you all a beautiful weekend filled with the fullness of Christ’s love. My Easter Sunday plans include sunrise worship, hiking with my husband and pup, brunching with my family, and a home cooked candlelight dinner.
Citrusy Carrot Cake with Vegan Lemon Buttercream
2 3/4 cups all purpose gf flour (I like Bob’s Red Mill)
1 teaspoon xanthum gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup melted coconut oil, cooled
1 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup maple syrup
Juice from 1/2 orange
3 tablespoons ground flax, soaked in 1/4 cup water (aka flax eggs)
2 teaspoons vanilla
3-4 whole carrots, shredded
1. preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. mix the first eight dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
3. stir together the coconut oil and sugar in a separate bowl. whisk in the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. create a ‘well’ in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the hole while stiring. continue to stir until the batter has a smooth consistency. fold in the shredded carrots.
5. grease two 8-inch round cake tins and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Evenly distribute the batter into each pan and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. let the cake sit for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and allow them to come to room temperature.
Vegan Lemon Buttercream
1 container dairy free cream cheese (I used Tofutti)
1 stick vegan butter (such as Earth Balance buttery sticks)
2 cups organic powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste for a pretty, speckled
Juice from 1/2 lemon
in a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese at a low speed, until smooth. cut the butter into chunks and add to cream cheese; beat at high speed. gradually add the powdered sugar as you beat the frosting. once frosting is smooth and fluffy, fold in the vanilla and lemon juice.
1. level of the rounded tops of the cakes. cut the two layers in half lengthwise so there are four layers total.
2. spread 1/6th of the frosting in between each of the cake layers.
3. frost the top and sides of cake - i like going for a ‘naked’ look where you just scrape the sides of the cake with frosting, so the layers are still visible.
4. decorate! I topped my cake with orange peel and fresh flowers!
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31